The DR-100MKIII is Tascam's top-of-the-line portable, delivering the best audio performance in the history of Tascam stereo handheld recorders. Designed to meet the needs of the most demanding audio designers and engineers, this third generation of the DR-100 combines robust reliability, an easy-to-use interface and studio-quality sonic performance.
You can record directly from the built-in uni-directional or omni-directional stereo microphones, connect your own mics to the rugged locking Amphenol XLR/TRS connectors, use a camera microphone or line source for recording or record from a digital SPDIF source. 24 or 48 volts of Phantom power on the XLR inputs are available for the use of studio condenser mics and Mid/Side microphone configurations can be decoded before or after recording. This ensures that virtually all fields of application are covered - from music, speech and atmosphere recordings to meeting minutes and live concert recordings.
Many other improvements and new features as well as the multilingual menu make the DR-100MKIII an easy-to-use companion for sound recordings at the highest level.
DR-100MKIII Key Features:
- Handheld digital stereo recorder for professional use
- Rugged aluminium chassis
- Two separate types of batteries used together allow for many hours of operation as well as the ability to change batteries while recording
- Recording medium: SD card (64 MB - 128 GB)
- 102 dB S/N ratio
- A/D converters switchable to dual mode for even higher S/N ratio
- Four built-in high-quality condenser microphones: Two uni-directional microphones with internal shock mount for stereo sound recording, Two enhanced omni-directional microphones for minutes recording or ambience
- Two lockable XLR/jack combo mic/line inputs with switchable 48V phantom power
- High-performance preamps provide a wide range of gain (-58 dBu to +24 dBu)
- Additional stereo input with adjustable level to connect other sources (mini jack, mic/line level, switchable plug-in power)
- Rotary control for intuitive setting of analogue input signals
- Digital input (to be used with included conversion cable, supports SPDIF and AES/EBU)
- Switchable low-cut filter (40/80/120/220 Hz)
- Mic input level attenuation (PAD, hardware switchable)
- Switchable auto gain control
- Limiter to prevent clipping (hardware switchable)
- Built-in monitor speaker (hardware switchable on/off)
- Headphones output with level control (mini jack)
- Seperate stereo line output with adjustable level (mini jack)
- Pre-recording buffer (2 seconds) allows a recording to start before the record key is pressed
- Delayed recording feature to prevent the unit from recording a touch noise of keystroke
- Auto-record function can automatically start and stop recording at set levels
- Instant recording start with a press of a button when switching the unit on
- Overdub feature to add narration, singing or instruments to an existing recording
- Tone generator for creating slate tones
- Mark function (automatic or manual)
- Create a new audio file during recording (manually or by file size)
- File divide function (to cut unwanted noise, for instance, WAV format only)
- File renaming
- Playback features include: In/Out loop, Folder or playlist playback, Pitch control function (-50 % to +16 %), Switchable VSA function (change playback tempo without affecting the key)
- XRI function allows information on recording settings to be stored with a BWF file
- Multi-language menu (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese)
- Metal mic stand adapter (¼ inch) on bottom side to attach the unit to a tripod or microphone stand
- USB 2.0 connection for file transfer with computer
- Power supply by the built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery, two AA batteries (Alkaline, NiMH or Lithium) or optional battery pack (Tascam BP-6AA)
- Power supply by optional AC adapter (Tascam PS-P520E) or USB power
- Included as standard: 2-Gigabyte SD card, digital input adapter cable
- Infrared remote control (Tascam RC-10P) and foot switch (Tascam RC-3F) available as an option
Used in a variety of combinations, depending upon the selected function, the DR-100MKIII features dual AKM AK4558 converters with VELVET SOUND architecture, providing both high sound quality and low power consumption, achieving a signal-to-noise ratio of 102 dB.
The dual ADC mode uses two AK4558 AD converters in parallel. Signal-to-noise ratio is maximized and audio fidelity is improved, delivering an S/N ratio of 109 dB as compared to the (already excellent) 102 dB achieved when recording in standard mode.
Note: As the S/N ratio when recording exceeds the S/N ratio of the entire circuit, data recorded in dual mono ADC mode will be limited to an S/N ratio of 102 dB when played back on the DR-100MKIII. This does not affect the S/N ratio of the actual file, which is maintained at 109 dB.
XLR/TRS inputs and low-noise HDDA preamps for external microphones
The XLR/TRS inputs, used to connect external mics, deliver the highest sound quality and lowest noise of any Tascam Handheld Digital Recorder. HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps are also included to maintain a pristine audio signal path throughout.
High sample rates for high-definition recordings
The DR-100MKIII supports high-definition recording at both 96 kHz / 24 bits and 192 kHz / 24 bits, ensuring that remote recordings achieve the same sonic fidelity as their studio-born counterparts.
Onboard dual ( directional/omni-directional) stereo microphones
A newly designed microphone housing for the directional mics is based on exhaustive research of previous Tascam handheld recorders and achieves the perfect marriage of protection and performance. Similarly, the omnidirectional stereo microphone setup accepts sound pressure levels up to 125 dB SPL - able to withstand virtually any audio environment.
An integrated shock mount structure for the directional stereo microphone suppresses unwanted vibration and handling noise.
Redundant power supply for long-term operation
With a dual battery structure that allows the built-in high-capacity lithium-ion battery to be used with in concert with AA batteries, operation is possible for extended periods of time. This ensures that the DR-100MKIII is ready to go when you are. Additionally, the recorder can be rapidly charged by connecting an AC adapter and even support USB Bus power from an external battery pack commonly used to charge mobile phones and tablets.
Dual Level recording helps to protect your recordings
The Dual Level Recording function simultaneously records a secondary backup file at a lower gain level than the primary recording. This safety file, recorded at a 12 dB lower level protects your recording session from unexpected volume spikes and accidental overload.
High-precision clock ensures stability when combining recordings with other material
The precision of the built-in clock is crucial when digital recordings made on what device are to be used in conjunction with materials recorded on other devices, such as when combining digital audio and video assets. To ensure stability, the DR-100MKIII utilizes the same Temperature-Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO) used in professional studio master recorders. Moreover, the TCXO is not affected by the temperature of the environment - critical for a portable device which must maintain its precision in support of high-quality recording.
Reliability through many details
Locking XLR/TRS combo jacks made by Amphenol ensure high reliability in the field and protect against unwanted connectivity issues.
Marrying light weight with long-term reliability, the DR-100MKIII's tough aluminium body ensures many years of trouble-free use.
Select hardware switches for quick setting control
Dedicated hardware controls have been implemented for the most commonly accessed features to enable quick, positive operation in the field.
Dual format recording provides a master and a web file
The Dual format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both uncompressed WAV (BWF) and MP3 files. This provides the user with instant access to both the original, full resolution master file and a compressed MP3 file (with much smaller size) for easy e-mailing or posting to social media sites.
XRI saves recording information with BWF files
Tascam's XRI (eXtended Recording Information) function keeps track of all recording settings as part of the file. This powerful features allows the user to easily double-check the details of the original recording for logging or replication of recording conditions at a later date. This information includes date and time of recording, input sources selection and levels, ADC mode on/off status and more. XRI information is stored as part of the BWF data block.
If you have seen this cheaper elsewhere please give us a call, we do not like to be beaten on price!