The DR-22WL is Tascam's first portable recorder to include WiFi functionality for transport control, file transfer, and audio streaming to your smartphone or PC. Other innovations like the new Scene Dial make it easier than ever to capture great-sounding recordings and share them online.
The DR-22WL is a streamlined model that has been designed to provide an easy-to-use interface so that anyone will be able to enjoy high-quality linear PCM recording without difficulty. For recording music played primarily on acoustic instruments, including acoustic guitars and wind and string instruments, this model is ideal. With its easy operation and high quality recording, this recorder can also be used for applications other than music, including for recording audio when capturing video with a digital SLR camera and for interviews.
Not only does this handheld recorder meet the demand for recording high-quality audio with ease, it also has advanced Wi-Fi functions for full remote control, streaming playback and file transfer.
Built-in professional X-Y stereo microphones enable high quality audio recording
Two unidirectional mic units are utilized together for stereo recording in an X-Y format. They are arranged so that their diaphragms overlap in the same axis. X-Y format recording can capture sound with a good stereo image and no sense of emptiness at the center. Since the mic units will not distort even at high volumes, recording with a great sense of nearness is possible even in high-volume situations.
In addition, a shock mount structure is used to hold the mic capsules. This absorbs vibrations effectively even when mounted on a digital SLR camera.
- Cardioid condenser mics in an X-Y configuration for impeccable stereo recordings
- Designed to handle high sound pressures of up to 120 dB
- Low noise realized through the use of high-performance audio codec
Large LCD and scene dial make the interface simple and easy to understand
The scene dial has eight preset scenes with different settings. This function automatically makes adjustments according to the situation so all the user needs to do for optimal recording is press the record button. Of course, when "M" (manual) is selected, settings can be adjusted manually. When set to ">", the user can use the play function to adjust the speed of playback, change the pitch and use other features that are perfect for practice.
The bottom of the large 128×128 LCD shows the next operations that are necessary according to the current conditions. The 4 function keys can be used to make selections for easy operation. This is a handheld recorder that can be easily mastered.
- Scene dial allows instant recall of settings suitable for different scenes
- Large 128×128 LCD and 4 function keys enable simple operation
- Input level adjustment dial designed for usability
Remote Wi-Fi operation eliminates handling noise
TASCAM has once again revolutionized handheld recording! The DR-22WL creates its own Wi-Fi network, and a free dedicated app can be used for remote operation without touching the unit. Not only does the app allow recording to be started and stopped, it can also be used to check and adjust input levels from an iOS or Android device. Everything related to recording can be done by Wi-Fi.
Since the Wi-Fi transmission range is about 20m/65 feet, this feature can be used with the recorder in places that are normally out of reach. In addition, audio can be checked by Wi-Fi after recording. The audio quality can be checked through headphones connected to a smartphone. With operation capabilities and flexibility that exceeds infrared remotes - and reliability that approaches that of wired remotes - this handheld recorder allows freedom of placement that far surpasses that of previous models.
Note: Checking audio via Wi-Fi is intended for use after recording.
- Simple Wi-Fi connections without a router
- Remote control using the free DR CONTROL app (iOS/Android)
- Check recorded audio using wireless playback
Smartphone can be used with unit to send recorded files
The benefits of Wi-Fi are not limited to recording. Audio files can be transmitted via Wi-Fi to smartphones and computers. They can also be uploaded to SoundCloud using a dedicated application. SoundCloud is tightly linked with other social networking services. For example, if a recording is shared to Facebook, it will appear on the user's timeline. By uploading a live recording immediately after performance, audience members could listen to the concert again on their way home.
Note: An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
- Dual-format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
- Transfer files to computers wirelessly
Multiple automatic features allow simplified operation
Even though the DR-22WL is a professional recording device, it also has numerous automatic functions that make capturing high-quality recordings easy for anyone. In addition to automatic recording functions, the unit also has functions that simplify file management. Users can create high-quality recordings without complicated operations.
- Automatic level optimization functions (peak reduction and limiter)
- Automatic track incrementation functions (new file creation) can be set according to the application
- Automatic recording function that starts recording when a preset audio input level is detected
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to set conditions
- Automatic division function that divides files at pre set marks (V1.10)
Overdubbing and reverb can be used
In addition to recording, this unit also has functions that can be used for music creation. The overdubbing function allows new sounds to be layered over existing recordings. This can be used to add solo parts to karaoke and to create harmonies by recording the same instrument multiple times.
By using the reverb effect, users can create sounds that are even more appealing using just the DR-22WL.
Tascam DR-22WL Key Features:
- Recording at up to 96 kHz/24-bit (WAV/BWF format)
- MP3 recording
- Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC media supported (4 GB microSD card included)
- Accepts up to 120 dB SPL
- Cirrus Logic AD/DA codec with improved audio performance and low power consumption
- 128x128 graphic LCD with backlight
- Built-in monaural loudspeaker (300 mW)
- Wi-Fi connection supports monitoring, transport control, level control, file transfer and more
- Easy Wi-Fi connection with Android
- Dedicated remote app for Windows/Mac available
- Scene Dial and re-designed user interfaces for ease of operation
- Dual format recording function (WAV and MP3)
- Variable Speed Audition (VSA) is ideal for practice and arrangement (50-150% change of speed)
- Key changing function with fine-tuning (±6 halftones)
- Divide function (manual or automatic by markers)
- Metronome for rehearsal
- Stereo-mini headphones/line output with 20 mW output power per channel
- USB 2.0 high-speed file transfer to/from your computer
- Powered by two AA batteries, AC adapter (available as option) or USB bus-power
- Tripod screw socket
If you have seen this cheaper elsewhere please give us a call, we do not like to be beaten on price!